Thursday 13 February 2014

Spellbook Model and Texture

After my enjoyment of the crate I was assigned the task of modelling and texturing a spellbook. Modelling this was slightly trickier than the crate but still enjoyable. I had to create bends in the book to make it appear realistic and to keep it exciting to look at, as a flat book would be boring. The spine has curvature and the pages bend inwards slightly. As for texturing the book it went okay, i used a few textures and overlayed them to create the leather effect of the book whilst using the clone stamp tool to adjust these internet sourced images. I used different kinds of brushes to create the markings around the frame of the book whilst using a rather jagged eraser brush to take of random parts as if it had been worn away over time. For the wooden texture I hand painted the markings onto a photo source plain wooden material. I flipped the UV's on the wood so they do not appear identical. The pages were a few overlayed textures and playing around with the layer modes. I wanted gold pages to contrast with the cover. I found using a bright gold was too garish and nullified it. It made it look much better.  

 For the final render I was pleased with the result. I went for a simplistic look with the book, as in I had no text on the book rather an illustration. I embossed the illustration to make it stand out. As for the clamps I felt as though the book would not of been sealed with a button or a clip rather wooden clamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment