Monday 28 April 2014

Alien Head

Here is my finished Alien head. This was done in Zbrush - a program that began to feel very strange at first, the controls were very different from other programs and the interface was to. It took a few hours to get an idea of how it worked. For this task though I was poly-painting a sculpt provided for the course.
For this I looked at human faces first, to get an idea of skin tones and where the skin got darker or became lighter. It was evident that most of the time redness appeared in the face, around the eyes and on the cheeks. I thought to use this on the head as a flat colour for skin didn't look realistic. As you can see around the eyes is very bright, as is the lower jaw. Although jaws were not displayed as overly bright features I figured that the alien would of frequently used his for expressiveness in a game/eating people.
For the top and back of the head I went for a much duller colour, getting darker and moving away from the red, I feel as though the contrast here makes the head stand out really well. The spine I painted black as well to give it that embossed look. I also made the eyes pure black so the alien could give a lifeless stare.
For the teeth I decided to apply a cream base colour and then a brown to contrast against the cream making the teeth look unclean. I applied a patterned texture in Zbrush to apply to the forehead and used a low opacity texture for the face.
Overall I am very pleased with the result. I'm sure when learning about Zbrush in future modules I can look back and identify some mistakes I have made for this, and I can also use what I have learned in poly painting for then to.
Overall this unit in general has helped a tremendous amount. I have learned how to create much better looking textures, as before in the previous unit I just slapped photo textures on and even though it worked it didn't look anywhere as good as the textures I can often create now. I applied most of this to the CGM module when creating the construction vehicle and managed to make a good looking vehicle texture using similar methods to what was presented to us in texture development. I am looking forward to using Zbrush more and during my break I will look up how to sculpt in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment