Sunday 27 April 2014

Completed cottage

Here is the final result for my cottage. It took a lot of tinkering with what to use on certain parts of the cottage as sometimes I'd used too much of a certain material and it would overwhelm the whole thing. This was a common occurrence with the icing for instance when I attempted to create the roof out of icing it wouldn't look right.
I decided to opt for a base foundation of chocolate cake, I used a sponge texture and repeated it around the house. I also outlined 3 layers of chocolate icing with a simple brown brush to represent the 'cement'. I used gingerbread walls - using the same texture I used for the door and allowed them to repeat around the house.
For the pillars I decided to use a gingerbread base, followed by a candy cane tube, into an icing pinnacle. I decided to use very clean textures for this, as when I tried to add some wear and tear it looked out of place. It needed to look in pristine condition to appear effective.
For the center bits of the walls, I decided to use icing - I first opted for the candy cane pattern but there was already enough of that so I decided to go with a repeated gumdrop pattern, these were hand painted onto the building, I would of created them onto the model but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to add additional features.
The roof was a challenge, I tried so many things, icing, candy cane, gingerbread, gumdrops, a thatched decorative pattern and a few others. But eventually I stumbled upon an example that used cake as the roof. I figured why not try it so i borrowed the sponge texture I used for the foundations and added some light brown paint to tile the rooftop so it appeared as though it was a brownie created roof.
Finally I added a green glow to the windows to give a festive impression.
Overall I'm very pleased with the result, I think its a different interpretation of the cottage and I think despite there not being the 'perfect' model shapes for certain aspects of the building such as square candy canes, I did a good job at representing it. I had a lot of fun creating the texture for this. 



No comments:

Post a Comment